Women have to be smart when they are walking outside. Taking a few extra precautions can reduce the chances of becoming a victim of a crime. Here are a few tips:
- Stay Alert – Be aware of the entire environment around you. If you wear headphones, keep the volume low enough that you can hear what’s going on around you.
- ALWAYS walk facing traffic.
- Avoid isolation – Walk in areas where there are other people.
- Tell someone where you will be walking and when you will be back.
- Carry identification and don’t wear jewelry.
- Carry a noisemaker such as a whistle or personal alarm.
- Best of all — Walk with a Friend!